Starting time on the 14th May at 7.30 a.m from Dorpat Hotel parking lot (Soola 6, Tartu).
Tour finishes on the 16 May 2017 approximately at 8:00-8.30 p.m in Tallinn Center (Mere pst 5, Tallinn).
Day 1. Sunday,
|Tartu - Olustvere - The Farm Museum of C.R. Jakobson, Kurgja - Muhu island - dinner at Saaremaa Windmill|
Day 1. Monday,
|Kuressaare walking tour - Tehumardi battlefield - Sääre Military Museum - Kaugatoma Cliff - Kuressaare city and Castle tour - dinner at Kuressaare Kuursaal|
Day 1. Tuesday,
|Panga Cliff - Angla Windmills - Ferry to Tallinn - Estonian Open Air Museum - Kolu Tavern|
Participation fee of 420€ includes:
For registering your participation, please fill in the registration form HERE.
|6:45 – 7:15||Breakfast at Hotel Dorpat (when booked accordingly)|
|7:30||Departure from Dorpat Hotel parking lot (Soola 6, Tartu)|
|9:00 – 11:00||Visiting Olustvere Manor|
|10:30 – 11:00||Coffee break at the Olustvere Manor|
|11:50 – 12:30||Visiting Kurgja, the Museum of C. R. Jakobson|
|12:30 – 12:55||Lunch at Kurgja museum|
|16:00 – 19:00||Excursion in the Island of Muhu|
|17:30 – 18:00||Coffe break|
|20.00 – 20:45||Check- in at the Saaremaa Spa Hotel Rüütli|
|21:00-23:30||Dinner at Saaremaa Windmill|
|~23:30||Accommodation in the Saaremaa Spa Hotel Rüütli|
|7:00 – 8:45||Breakfast at Saaremaa Spa Hotel Rüütli|
|9:00 – 15:00||Visiting Sõrve säär|
|13:00 – 13:45||Lunch at Sääre Praagu restaurant|
|15:30 – 19:00||Kuressaare city tour, visiting the Kuressaare Castle|
|~22:30||Accommodation in the Saaremaa Spa Hotel Rüütli|
|7:30 – 8:15||Breakfast at Saaremaa Spa Hotel Rüütli|
|9:10 – 9:35||A walk on the Panga cliff|
|10:10 – 12:00||Visiting Angla Windmill park|
|11:15 – 12:00||Lunch at Angla Windmill park|
|16:00 – 18:30||Visiting Estonian Open Air Museum|
|18:30 – 19:30||Dinner at Kolu Tavern|
|~20:00||Arrival in the Tallinn city center (Mere pst. 5, Tallinn)|
Tartu - Olustvere - The Farm Museum of C.R. Jakobson, Kurgja - Muhu island - Kuressaare island
Olustvere is situated in Middle-Estonia in Viljandimaa, on the northern edge of Sakala uplands. Olustvere Manor complex stands out for its architecture, park which is rich in species and very well preserved unique manor complex. The complex offers a wide range of workshops and activities - it is possible to get familiar with smithery, handicraft, linen and patchwork, ceramics and glass blowing, bakery, stables (permanent exhibition of miniature wooden horse figures of Voldemar Luht, collection of stuffed birds and animals of Ilmar Tilk); horse riding and last, but not least, domestic animals enjoying their everyday lives. These different activities are divided into separate buildings which have been renovated and are used for exhibition displays and holding workshops.
Olustvere School of Service and Rural Economics is located in Olustvere in Suure-Jaani parish in central Estonia. Today, the school is an agriculturally oriented vocational school managed by the Ministry of Education and Science. The school also owns the most fully preserved manorial estate, which includes 29 buildings, in the Baltic States. The school has three main areas of specialisation: agriculture, service and food processing. The school unites three areas of rural life into one unified food product chain, starting with producing the raw material, continuing with processing and preparing the food and ending with service. The school has a study farm, which was created in 1994. The school owns 507 hectares of land. In addition, the study farm also uses about 330 hectares of rented farm land. The farm has contemporary technical equipment for applied study.
The Farm Museum of C.R. Jakobson was established in 1948 and its first director was Jakobson’s oldest daughter Linda. Buildings needing partial or complete restoration have been restored by today. The main house of the museum includes an exhibition which introduces the life and activities of C.R. Jakobson. As a new building, the threshing barn and grain dryer have been completed according to the project of C.R. Jakobson. The museum is special due to an active farm with cattle-breeding and land cultivation. Estonian country breed cows, white-headed sheep, Estonian horses, rabbits, roosters, hens and turkeys are a true feast for the eye.
Koguva village on the west coast of Muhu island is a remarkable example of Estonian peasant architecture, that has fascinated ethnographers already in the beginning of the 20th century.
The village with exceptional history in its quaint landscape and well-preserved farm buildings, for a long time, has been known in Estonia as the birthplace of an Estonian writer Juhan Smuul. Koguva became a popular travel destination already during the writers lifetime and the first exhibition was opened after his death in 1971. In 1973 Juhan Smuul"s Museum was opened as a branch of nowadays Saaremaa Museum. In 1979 30,4ha of land was given to the museum, and the museum was renamed Juhan Smuul"s Memorial and Koguva Open Air Museum.Since 1990 the museum is called Muhu Museum and is an institution of Muhu parish
The windmill was built in 1899. This windmill was in working order until 1941. When the war began, the sails were sawn off in order to avoid the enemies to use then for signalling. It is known from the history that during World War I the French, using the sails, gave signals about the movement direction and even about the number of enemies to their own troops. From 4 January 1974, the windmill has been a catering establishment, which makes it the oldest operating catering establishment in Kuressaare.
The exhibition of the military museum in the former guard station of Sõrve. This exhibition consists of different marine, military as well as farm objects characteristic of the island.
The main building of the guard station, the military museum, is divided into thematic rooms. In addition to six main rooms, there will soon be a library. One example of thematic rooms is the dining room, where all the objects related to cooking and eating have been gathered. There is also a room dedicated to the Soviet era, and two for the world wars.
Kuressaare is the capital of Saaremaa. The city, located at the Livonia Bay, has a territory of about 15 sq.km and a population of about 15 000. The medieval episcopal Kuressaare Castle today houses the Saaremaa Regional Museum. The Medieval convent of the castle is the only one in the Baltics that have survived without any significant reconstructions being done to it which, from the architectural aspect, gives it an international importance. Having been erected in the 13th century it had 1650 soldiers serving there in its glory days at the end of the 17th century.
It is believed that a local pharmacist came up with the idea of building a Kuursaal (resort hall). Construction took eight months, and it was officially opened on 11 June 1889. In the centre part, the so-called White Hall, housed a restaurant, while the right wing was home to a summer theatre and the left wing was used for a kitchen area and offices. The theatre mostly hosted performances by ensembles from Germany, but Estonian actors started appearing here after World War I. In 1989 the kuursaal was named 'Best Building in Soviet Estonia 1988. Today the Kuursaal accommodates a cafe, concerts and an open air cinema. There are cosy rooms in the guesthouse on the second floor.
Panga Cliff - Angla Windmills - Ferry to Tallinn - Estonian Open Air Museum - dinner at Kolu Tavern
The Panga Cliff stands, stark in colour, at a maximum height of 21.3 m, and runs for about 2.5 km! A vast slate, as all cliffs of Saaremaa is, wall reaching straight up from the surrounding beach, the cliff impacts its environment in an interesting way. A couple of hundred meters away from the cliff, the sea experiences a steep slope - visible on stormy days when onlookers can watch a line of foamy waves develop. At the highest point of the cliff, there is an ancient sacrificial site where people used to sacrifice to the sea.
The only remaining group of windmills on Saaremaa is located in Angla. It is the only one remaining windmill hill on Saaremaa. In 1925, when the village of Angla consisted of 13 farms, there were nine wind catchers on the hill. At one time, these open to the winds hills of windmills were a common sight on Saaremaa. When the people were more agrarian, grew their own wheat and rye, and made their own bread, every self-respecting village had a group of windmills to grind the grain.These windmills could be turned towards whatever wind was blowing at the time.
Just 15 minutes from the city centre of Tallinn, you find Estonian Open Air Museum, showcasing the country's rural architecture and way of life. The 14 farms in the museum provide an overview of how families from different strata of society lived in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. As you might expect to find in any proper village, there is a church, an inn, a schoolhouse, mills, a fire station, a shop and fishing sheds by the sea. At the museum, you can buy handicrafts, ride horses, and try traditional Estonian dishes at the inn.